poniedziałek, 16 maja 2016

Wampetery, foma i granfalony

Playboy showed me a typescript of what I had said into their tape recorder, and it was obvious to me that I had at least one thing in common with Joseph Conrad: English was my second language. Unlike Conrad, I had no first language, so I went to work on the transcript with pen and pencil and scissors and paste, to make it appear that speaking my native tongue and thinking about important matters came very easily to me.
This is what I find most encouraging about the writing trades: They allow mediocre people who are patient and industrious to revise their stupidity, to edit themselves into something like intelligence. They also allow lunatics to seem saner than sane.
K. Vonnegut, wstęp do zbioru "Wampeters, Foma and Granfallons"

(...) if you write stories that are weak on dialogue and motivation and characterization and common sense, you could do worse than throw in a little chemistry or physics, or even witchcraft, and mail them off to the science-fiction magazines.
K. Vonnegut, "Science Fiction"

Kupiłam tę książkę kiedy w styczniu byliśmy w Denver. K. pokazał mi tam antykwariat Kilgore, w którym postać Vonneguta i jego książki, jak zresztą sama nazwa wskazuje, stanowią motyw przewodni. Trzeba było coś rzeczonego autora kupić, choćby po to, żeby potem móc powiedzieć, że właśnie tam się to kupiło. W antykwariacie weszłam też w posiadanie pięknej koszulki z pstrągiem, którą K. mi zabrał i nie chce oddać.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz